Inductors are given names tied to their applications, eg:
- Choke / RFC, to allow DC but block AC current
- Ballast, to provide high voltage kick to start flourescent lamps
- Reactor / Saturable reactor
- Coil / Tesla Coil / Ignition Coil
- Transformer / Auto transformer, two or more inductances
- Antenna, even a rado antenna can exhibit inductance at certain frequencies.
Units Of Measurement
The modern day unit of measurement for an inductor is the "Henry". All practical realisations of inductors also have resistance, and it is this combination of inductance and resistance that defines the Quality ( Q Factor) of an inductor.