IEEE Mississippi Section History
Origins and Regional Activity
The Mississippi Section AIEE began as a Sub-Section of the New Orleans Section AIEE on June 28, 1957. The IEEE Section grew in size in 1963 by petitioning for Mississippi counties from portion of Huntsville and New Orleans Sections of IRE.
Four years later the Section hosted the very successful Region 3 Convention in Jackson, MS from April 17- 19, 1967. About 170 people registered including about 100 students. The location of the event was the Hotel Heidelberg downtown Jackson. The General Chair was Mr. D. E. Buck of Southern Bell Tel. & Tel. Co. The Vice-General Chair was Mr. Norris L. Stampley of Mississippi Power and Light Co.
For a number of years the November meeting was a joint meeting with other Engineering Societies and the speakers were members of the Mississippi Legislator. The December meeting was a visit/program at Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS. Also, for quite a while the Section sponsored an event at Lake Tiak-O-Khata near Louisville, MS in the month of December. In this, the Section was assisted by members for Mississippi State University. These three gatherings also served as "Ladies Night" for the Section.
For several years, the Section sponsored student paper contests at Mississippi State University and later at the University of Southern Mississippi. Joe Savage and Harold Henson tied as 2nd place winners in 1967, each received $50. First place winner received $100 cash. The students came to the Section meeting in Jackson in March each year and presented their papers and received the awards. The contest was judged by Section members, from central Mississippi, on the university campus.The Section has participated in National Engineers Week activities, along with 4 or more other engineering societies, in Vicksburg, MS since Feb 1998.
Many of the Section's past officers are noted on their webpage.