Traversing the Earth through land, sea and air has always driven our society to pursue technological innovation. From the ancient invention of the wheel to modern devices like trains, planes and automobiles, transportation remains a constant concern for society.
Considered the "Edison of Transit", Frank Sprague made huge advancements in regards to electrical engineering in transportation. The Richmond Union Passenger Railway line served as a prototype for the first commercial street car. Henry Ford would later mass produce automobiles, making them an affordable reality for most Americans. Jet engines were developed during World War II with the V1 and V2 Rockets, which would set the stage for the developments in both air and space travel over the next decades.
IEEE's interests in transportation are represented by the IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society, IEEE Vehicular Technology Society and the IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Society, which both publish numerous magazines and journals like Systems Magazine and Intelligent Transportation Systems Magazine.
- Aerospace and electronic systems - Topics pertaining to designing vehicles and their electronic systems meant for flying in the atmosphere or in space
- Air transportation - Concerns with transportation in the air
- Airborne radar - Radar designed to be mounted in aircraft
- Automotive engineering - Topics related to the design of automobiles including automotive electronics and vehicle crash testing
- Intelligent transportation systems - The integration of communications, information science and control systems into transportation systems
- Land mobile radio equipment - Radios used in vehicles, typically automobiles
- Land transportation - Broad topics dealing with land transportation, including road and rails
- Marine transportation - Broad topics dealing with marine transportation
- Navigation - Topics relating to tracking a vehicle's position, including satellite navigation systems and radar navigation
- Propulsion - Engines which produce thrust to drive a vehicle forward including aircraft propulsion and rockets
- Vehicles - Types of vehicles such as aircraft, rail vehicles and road vehicles
- Wireless sensor networks - Networks of sensors which monitor various conditions
This category has the following 15 subcategories, out of 15 total.
Pages in category "Transportation"
The following 245 pages are in this category, out of 245 total.
Media in category "Transportation"
The following 30 files are in this category, out of 30 total.
- 1304-control gear in...
- 1314-central station...
- 2051-edison phonogra...
- 275-loran monitoring...
- 3858-ames convoy.jpg
- 4377-RCA photophone ...
- Boeing 314 Clipper E...
- Boeing 737 Next Gene...
- Boeing 737-200 Fligh...
- Boeing 747-200 & 400...
- Boeing 767 Flight de...
- Boeing 777 Flight De...
- Boeing Configured Ve...
- Boeing SST Displays.jpg
- Boeing Terminal Diag...
- Boeing VC-137B "Air ...
- Columbia Climbs Towa...
- Explorer I Jupiter 0...
- Explorer I on Jupite...
- Great Eastern 0427.jpg
- Menlo Park railway 1...
- Operation Control Go...
- Saturn Ring by Voyag...
- Saturns Rings Voyage...
- Space Shuttle Flight...
- Space Shuttle launch...
- Steamship Columbia E...
- Subway in AIEE Trans...
- Trains in Central RR...
- Van Depoele Electric...