IEEE
You are not logged in, please sign in to edit > Log in / create account  

Property:Milestone Site Description

From GHN

Jump to: navigation, search

Description of the site where the a milestone plaque would be installed. This property has the type text


Pages using the property "Milestone Site Description"

Showing 25 pages using this property.

(previous 25) (next 25)

H

High-Temperature Superconductivity +The plaque will be installed in the park-like are of the IBM Research Laboratory. It will be publicly visible. IBM Research GmbH IBM Research - Zurich Säumerstrasse 4 CH-8803 Rüschlikon Switzerland Lat 47.309272 Lon 8.545346
Hollow dielectric beam waveguide of sub-millimeter wavelength range, 1966 +Entrance to the Institute of Radio-Physics and Electronics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (IRE NASU), vul. Proskury 12, Kharkiv 61085, Ukraine. Hollow dielectric beam waveguide technology of the millimeter and sub-millimeter wavelength range was conceived in 1963, developed since 1964, and demonstrated at that site in 1966. This is a corporate building. There are no historical markers at the site.

I

IEEE Milestone for the Demonstration of the First Working Laser in Malibu, CA +Proposed site would be the building where the invention occurred at the Hughes Research Lab in Malibu, California.
Improvements in and relating to Sound-transmission, Sound-recording and Sound-reproduction systems by Alan Dower Blumlein +Abbey Road Studios are working studios having been established in 1931. Abbey Road was the site of where on January 19th 1934, Alan Blumlein used his Stereo recording equipment to record Sir Thomas Beecham conducting the London Philharmonic Orchestra playing Mozart's Jupiter Symphony. There is one existing plaque on the front of Abbey Road which is dedicated to Sir Edward Elgar who officially opened the Abbey Road Studios on November 12th 1931
Interactive Video Games +The achivement was developed in a small room opposite the 5th floor elevator at the intended site in 1967 and 1968. The intended site was formerly the historic Jackson Mills building. In 1826, Charles C. Haven constructed Indian Head Co. mill to manufacture woolen goods. In June 1830, Indian Head Co. was incorporated under the new Jackson Co. The Jackson Co. and its 1,200 operatives merged with Nashua Manufacturing Co. in 1916 before being sold to Textron, Inc. in 1945. The Jackson Co. was the last mill to close in December 1951. In 1952, the buildings became home to Sanders Associates, and later to BAE Systems.
International Standardization of G3 Facsimile in 1980 +The plates will be installed in buildings of the NTT Cyber Communications Laboratory Group and KDDI R&D Laboratories. These were the places where the G3 type facsimile research and development was performed. Moreover, those places are where the MR method was invented.
Introduction of the Apple I Computer: 1976 +The current headquarters of Apple, Inc., is a high profile location in Silicon Valley. It has a direct lineage to the work done by Steve Wozniak, Steve Jobs and the team that worked on the Apple I. It is a location that is seen by and visited by thousands of visitors, vendors and Apple employees on a daily basis.
Introduction of the Apple II Computer: 1977-1978 +The current headquarters of Apple, Inc., is a high profile location in Silicon Valley. It has a direct lineage to the work done by Steve Wozniak, Steve Jobs and the Apple team that worked on the Apple II. It is a location that is seen by and visited by thousands of visitors, vendors and Apple employees on a daily basis.
Introduction of the Apple Macintosh Computer, 1984 +The current headquarters of Apple, Inc., is a high profile location in Silicon Valley. It has a direct lineage to the work done by Steve Jobs and the Apple team that worked on the Macintosh. It is a location that is seen by and visited by thousands of visitors, vendors and Apple employees on a daily basis. There are not any other historical markers already on the site.
Invention of Holography by Dennis Gabor +On or in the building of the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Imperial College, Exhibition Road, South Kensington, London, SW7 2AZ, England, UK. Dennis Gabor moved from the BTH company to the Electrical Engineering Department of Imperial College, University of London, in 1949, where he was appointed Reader in Electronics. He was promoted to Professor of Applied Electron Physics in the same Department in 1958.
Invention of Public-key Cryptography +Goverment Communications Headquarters (GCHQ), Cheltenham, England

J

John Logie Baird Inventions in Television +The Milestone Plaque would be mounted at one of the sites used by John Logie Baird for his inventions in TV – Crystal Palace – home of Baird’s Laboratories and his Company for some years during his main work on Television. Using ultra-short waves (6-7 metres) he transmitted TV under his company name (Baird Television Ltd) between 1933 and 1939. N.B. [JLB’s first television company – “Television Limited”- dates from 1926. Then there were several other Baird companies which were amalgamated in 1930 to form "Baird Television Ltd" which lasted until 1939. The company moved out of Long Acre in about 1934]. In September 1939 broadcast television was shut down and Baird Television Ltd. Went into receivership. However, Baird continued his research independently. Notes: a. JLB’s workplace in Hastings where he sent crude 30 line silhouettes, first confirming to himself that television was possible, already has a plaque, at the Queen’s Arcade in the centre of the town. There is one also at 21 Linton Crescent, the house in Hastings where he lodged. (www.discoverbexhill.com) b. JLB’s old house at Bexhill in Station Road, where he lived between 1944 and his death in 1946, was demolished in 2007 but on the same site Laing Homes has built a modern block of flats in the same architectural style as the old house. The old house had a plaque before it was demolished with the permission of the council. c. JLB’s company office at 133 Long Acre in Central London would have been a good candidate for a plaque as it was the base of several demonstrations, and for a short while it housed the experimental TV studios for the early BBC broadcasts in 1929, before the BBC set up its studio in Portland Place. Royal Television Society Plaque. (Royal Television Society – JLB PLAQUE d. The same comment applies to the address at 22 Frith Street in Soho where he gave the first demonstration of his TV (London County Council -JLB PLAQUE) e. Alexandra Palace, home of BBC transmissions for many years, was not directly associated with JLB but it also has a BBC plaque stating it was first place of BBC Television Transmissions -Greater London Council – (Alexandra Palace BBC Plaque). f. Helensburgh, Scotland, his family’s home town, where JLB began his interests with childhood inventions - notably a telephone link to a childhood friend and where he began to think of picture transmission, contains several plaques and other memorials. One plaque is on John Logie Baird’s birthplace, 121 West Argyle Street; another is on the Municipal Buildings in the town centre g. There is a bronze bust of John Logie Baird on a plinth in West Clyde Street overlooking the Firth of Clyde. There is a commemorative stained glass window in the West Parish Church. At the University of Strathclyde there is a plaque outside the department of Electrical Engineering. Until a couple of years ago, one of their halls of residence was called Baird Hall. However the building has now been sold. The museum that links with Strathclyde University holds many of John Logie Baird’s manuscripts. </p> </p> The Crystal Palace tower and buildings were destroyed by fire in 1936 but the building adjacent – which at that time was also used by John Logie Baird for this work - is still standing. It is now a Museum of Crystal Palace historical artefacts, housing some references and artefacts of his work and activity at Crystal Palace. The site has large parkland around it (currently used for a multitude of activities) and also this site now has an LDA development plan for it which has recently been approved. This will bring Crystal Palace into an active site with many visitors. The Museum will be rebuilt and can possibly house the IEEE Plaque to good effect with JLB information set alongside it. This should make it most appropriate with the prospect of many visitors and well protected.

K

Krka – Šibenik Electric Power System +Only ruins of the first power plant (Jaruga I) exist today. But the the power plant built in 1903 (Jaruga II) is still in operation. A memorial house („Šupuk House") devoted to Ante Šupuk, one of the builders of the first Krka electric power system, could also be a potential site for the plaque. GPS: 47.48' N;15.58'E

L

LORAN +The Hood building is not a suitable place for the proposed IEEE plaque. Instead, the loran milestone plaque could probably be mounted alongside the other IEEE milestone plaques at MIT Building N42, 211 Massachusetts Avenue. The Boston Milestone Committee will seek their approval from MIT and proceed accordingly.
Line spectrum pair (LSP), an essential technology for high-compression speech coding, 1975 +Initial invention, follow up investigations and developments have been carried out at this site.

M

Mainline Electrification of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, 1895 +The Howard Street Tunnel still exists but is not suitable for the location of the Milestone plaque. The intended site for the plaque is the B&O Railroad Museum, located at Pratt and Poppleton Streets (901 West Pratt Street), Baltimore, MD 21223. the Museum is on the site of the historic Mt. Clare shops, considered by many to be the birthplace of American railroading. The Museum is comprised of five historic buildings located on approximately 40 acres and houses one of the world's finest and most comprehensive collections of railroad locomotives, rolling stock, and other artifacts. The Museum has been granted National Historic Landmark status by the U.S. Deartment of the Interior. The Museum's centerpiece building is the original B&O roundhouse built in 1884 and in continuous railroad use until 1953. Courtney Wilson, the Museum's executive director, has indicated that the Museum would be honored to be the location of the plaque.
Marconi First Wireless Experiments, 1894-1895 +The two plaques suggested are related to the two sites in which Marconi carried out his first experiments: in the garden of Villa Griffone (his family home, now the site of the Fundazione Guglielmo Marconi), where Marconi transmitted his wireless signals, and beyond the Celestini hill, where those signals were received. Villa Griffone, Marconi's family home in the second half of the 19th century, is now the site of the Guglielmo Marconi Foundation and of the Marconi Museum, which includes the young Marconi's laboratory, on the upper floor of the villa.
Mercury Spacecraft MA-6 +The milestone plaque will be mounted at or near the entrance of the James S. McDonnell Prologue Room: An Air and Space History Exhibit. The Prologue Room is located in The Boeing Company Building 100, headquarters for Boeing's Integrated Defense Systems business. This will provide public access to view the plaque. Inside the Prologue Room, there is an exact replica (mock-up engineering design fixture) of the Mercury Spacecraft MA-6 that Col. John Glenn piloted thru 3 earth orbits. The Mercury Spacecraft were designed, developed, and tested in nearby buildings less than 200 yards from where the plaque will reside.

P

Pearl Street Station +4 Irving Place, New York, NY In the lobby of the Con Edison building, under an existing bust of Thomas Edison.

R

RAMAN EFFECT +INDIAN ASSOCIATION FOR THE CULTIVATION OF SCIENCE RAJA SUBODH MULLICK ROAD KOLKATA 700032, INDIA
Research and education in electronics and communications at Cruft Laboratory, Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Science, 1915 to 1947 +It is a building named Cruft Laboratory which looks like this. [[Image:Cruft Laboratory - Harvard University - DSC05376.JPG|thumb|center|650px]]
Rheinfelden Hydroelectric Power Plant, 1898 - 2010 +The milestone plaques (one in English, one in German) will be mounted on plinths on the grounds close to the Exhibition Pavilion “Kraftwerk 1898” (Power Station 1898). This pavilion stands for the old power house from 1898, demolished in 2011 after erection of a new power plant somewhat upstream. Inside the pavilion one of the oldest turbine-generator sets and other original key components are on display, modern presentation means assist the visitors to better understand the technical and historical significance of the old hydropower station Rheinfelden. The pavilion is situated at a transborder foot- and bikeway along both sides of the river, and is opened for the general public all days during certain daytime hours.
Rincon del Bonete Hydroelectric Plant and Transmission System +The plaque will be installed on an outside wall near the entrance to the Powerhouse, which is still in operation. GPS coordinates are: 56° 25' 18.6" S, 32° 49' 55.5" W

S

SAGE (Semi Automatic Ground Environment) +Main lobby of MIT Lincoln Laboratory in Lexington MA. Access by the public is available. Details will be provided later.
SPARC RISC Architecture Introduction, 1987 +Oracle Campus, 4040 Palm Drive, Santa Clara, CA 95054
(previous 25) (next 25)