Milestone-Proposal talk:The MU (Middle and Upper atmosphere) radar, 1984
|Thread title||Replies||Last modified|
|from milestone proposal||10||15:55, 29 July 2014|
from milestone proposal
As the Advocate of MU radar, This proposal is a very good reseach and it is worh to be a milestone.
I too endorse this proposal, but could the wording be adjusted to indicate how important this work was for greatly improved studies of the atmosphere, as well as for weather forecasting? It seems to me that the wording is too modest.
To Mischa Schwartz, from Haruko Kawahigashi (Proposer)
Thank you very much for your comment. I am planning to add the following description to the proposal, to explain the social impact of the MU radar. I also prepared additional references from Japanese newspapers, to show the MU radar's benefits to the people's lives.
MU radar observed actual structures and mechanisms of various meteorological phenomena, from local extreme weathers to global atmospheric behaviors. Its observation served to explore the countermeasures to minimize damages of weather disasters and environment disruptions. The Significance of the MU radar
- It can simultaneously capture the raindrop and the airflow when they are mixed, whereas the conventional meteorological radar can see only the raindrop. [A1]
- It observed the precise typhoon structure and the eye cross-section for the first time in the world. [A2]
- It revealed birth and growth processes of the violent raincloud causing the local downpour etc. [A1]
- Its observation of the precise meteorological phenomena lead precise weather forecasting. [A1] [A2]
- Its long-term observation of the vertical atmospheric movement lead to quantifying the irregular atmospheric turbulence and its daily and seasonal fluctuation, for the first time in the world. The result revealed that the greenhouse gas diffusion is much slower than it had been believed. Its observation served as a concrete evidence for the global environmental sustainment measures. [A3]
- Its leading edge technologies of the active phased array antenna were utilized and followed by numerous atmospheric radars constructed later. [A4]
Additional References [A1] The Raincloud Development Process Revealed, Kyoto Univ. Group Uses VHF Radar, Simultaneous Measurement of the Atmospheric Movement and the Raindrop, Nikkei Newspaper, Oct. 2, 1985.
[A2] Caught the Typhoon-eye (Kyoto Univ. Group), Yomiuri Newspaper, Tuesday Evening, Dec. 13, 1994.
[A3] Air Pollutant Diffuses Slowly, Freon (CFC) Resides ten times longer than the established value, Kyoto Univ. Revealed the Turbulence Movement, Yomiuri Newspaper, Tuesday Evening, Aug. 12, 1993.
[A4] "Eye" for Abnormal Weather Clarification, Kyoto Univ. Build a radar in Sumatra, Kyoto Newspaper, March 23, 2001.
To History Committee members from Haruko Kawahigashi (Proposer)
I added (6) The social impacts of the MU radar to (B-1) Historical significance of the proposal with additional references [A1, A2, A3, A4] from Japanese newspapers, to show the MU radar's benefits to the people's lives. I also added reference number citation (e.g. [1, 3, ...]) to the proposal description.
To D. J. Kemp and Allison Marsh, from Haruko Kawahigashi (Proposer)
Thank you very much for your support.