IEEE Benelux Section History
Are you a member of this section? Please help expand the article by using the edit tab....
The Benelux Section was the “First Section to be established in Europe, and the only section to cover more than one country!”; The Benelux Section is located in Region 8. [ BElgium NEtherlands LUXembourg]. Thanks to Bruce Barrow for the material.
2009 MGA Award Recipients Announced at its 21 November 2009 meeting, selected the 2009 MGA Award recipients for the MGA Larry K. Wilson Transnational Award Martin J. Bastiaans (R8 - Benelux Section): “For significant contributions to the IEEE volunteer experience and member engagement throughout the world."
Letter 16th March 1959 to IRE, Signed by Bruce B. Barrow, Pierre Bartholomé, Edmund B. Staples, H. Paul Williams.
"A number of us who are employed at SADTC (from 5 countries) are convinced that there would be considerable advantage to the IRE and its members in this part of Europe, if a Section of the IRE were formally organized here. Some prominent Dutch engineers, Mr. Rinia in particular, have indicated enthusiastic support for such an idea as well. Proposal: Benelux Section embracing Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg 10 signatures can be obtained quickly within The Hague alone. What are the special difficulties encountered in establishing Sections outside North America? One of our important goals is to stimulate some student activity in the Benelux.
Dutch physicist Balthasar van der Pol provided support and agreement to the formation of the Benelux Section, however, he never got to attend any meeting due to his poor health at that time.
30 March 1959 ;: Petition to the Board of Directors IRE to form an IRE Section to include the territory of Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg
13 May 1959 : Approval by the Board of Directors
22 June 1959 : Nomination of Section officers at meeting at SHAPE Air Defense Technical Center, Den Haag
| Chair, Herre Rinia, Fellow IRE, Former Vice-president IRE, Director of Research Philips Research Laboratories
|Vice-chair, Vitold Belevitch, Senior member IRE, Director Comite d´Etude et d´Exploitation des Calculateurs Electroniques, Bruxelles|
|Secretary / Treasurer, Bruce B. Barrow, Member IRE, Scientist Treasurer SHAPE Air Defense Technical Center, Den Haag|
First ExCom meeting 17 August 1959,
- Forms of co-operation with local societies (N.R.G, KIVI, S.I.T.E.L):
- “One of cooperation and not of competition”
- To establish a Chapter of the Professional Group on Information Theory “because of the IT-Symposium in Europe (Benelux) in 1962”. Full support to Dr. Stumpers
- To organize a visit to s.s. Rotterdam, the new flagship of the Holland/America line, through Mr. C.B. Broersma, Managing Director Radio/Holland
- Initial technical focus: Computers, Network Theory (Belevitch, Tellegen), Audio, Information Theory, Radio Astronomy
First Benelux Section Meeting 3 October 1959
Held at Rotterdam offices of Radio-Holland, Attended by 75 members and guests.
Luncheon address by Dr. Lloyd V. Berkner, President of U.R.S.I. and an IRE Director International character of I.R.E.
Interest in promoting contact among radio engineers from all lands, Visit to ss Rotterdam, new flagship of Holland-America Line.
Letter from Bruce Barrow to friend in Switzerland regarding the formation of a Swiss (Geneva) Section:
- Our trickiest problem: Cooperation, maintaining friendly relations with the local societies
- Second problem: which language to choose?
English as a common language (fine in Holland). Belgian members prefer to use French! - Experiment: “Offering a simultaneous translation (provided from Philips) into English for our French speakers”.
Some uneasiness about the proposed merger of AIEE and IRE. Rinia: “Will it take a true international point of view?”
Starting point of discussions about a European Region.
European membership as of December 1961:
Officers (period 2002-2005):
- Chairman: Prof. dr. ir. Jan Biemond (TU Delft; NL)
- Junior Past Chairman: Prof. dr. ir. Cor Claeys (KU-Leuven; IMEC; B)
- Vice chairman: Prof. Dr. Ir. Patrice Mégret (Polytechnique de Mons ; B)
- Prof. Damien Macq (Polytechnique de Mons, B); since 01/01/04
- Secretary: Dr. Alan Hanjalic (TU Delft; NL)
- Treasurer NL: Dr.ir. Jan Bergmans (TU Eindhoven; NL)
- Treasurer B: Ir. Dirk Rabaey (Alcatel, B)
- Member B: Prof. Joseph. Lahr (IST; L)
- Member NL: Dr.ir. Martin J. Bastiaans (TU Eindhoven; NL) (Vice- chair candidate per 01/01/05)