Education:The Space Race and Satellite Technology
9-12 World History/US History
Time Required for Completed Lesson
1 class period
6.2.12.C.4.d 6.2.12.A.5.a 6.2.12.B.5.a 6.2.12.B.5.b 6.2.12.C.5.b 6.2.12.C.5.c 6.2.12.D.5.c 6.2.12.D.6.a
Common Core State Standards
Grades 9-10 Key Ideas and Details RH.9-10.2. Determine a central idea or information of a primary source or secondary source; provide an accurate summary of how key events or ideas develop over the course of the text.
RH.9-10.3. Analyze in detail a series of events described in a text; determine whether earlier events caused later ones or simply preceded them.
Integration of Knowledge and Ideas RH.9-10.9. Compare and contrast treatments of the same topic in several primary and secondary sources.
Whiteboard, projector, PowerPoint, copies of readings, videos
1) Discussion of the Cold War in the context of the space race and satellite technology.
2) Short teacher-generated PowerPoint on the evolution of telecommunications, from early forms like smoke signals to the internet and satellite technology.
1) Students will read about the space race from History.com.
2) Students will fill in a timeline marking the evolution of telecommunications.
3) Students will read select portions of the Telecommunications Act of 1996.
4) Teacher will lead a class discussion on the consequences of the Telecommunications of 1996.
5) Teacher will lead a class discussion on the possible democratizing impact of satellite radio on the communications industry.
1) gMain ideas and supporting details of reading will be highlighted
2) Varied methods of lesson plan to accommodate different learning abilities.
3) Small group interaction