Category:Lasers, lighting & electrooptics
Lighting has been one of the earliest applications of electric power. The natural properties of electric lighting are visible in lightning, and these ideas were utilized in the early 19th century for arc lighting, a system which creates a spark between two conductors, producing a great deal of light. Sir Humphrey Davy made a famous demonstration of arc lighting in 1809, and arc lighting would be implemented in larger scales with the advent of the generator. The first practical installation was at the South Foreland lighthouse in England in 1858, and the Jablochkoff candle would be invented in 1870. Arc lighting would eventually be replaced by incandescent bulbs, invented by Thomas Edison in 1879.
Pages in this category deal with all aspects of lighting and optics, which includes the laser, or Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation, a focused beam of light which has many applications in modern technology. Fiber optics, media which transmit laser light along glass fibers, have played a huge part in today's communication industry, and are vital to the functionality of the internet.
The IEEE's interest in these areas lies in the IEEE Photonics Society (formerly the Lasers & Electro-Optics Society), which publishes several journals including the IEEE Photonics Journal, Photonics Technology Letters, Journal of Quantum Electronics, Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology, IEEE/OSA J. of Display Technology, and IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communications and Networking.
- Electrooptic devices - Devices which modify optics by use of an electric field such as electrochromic devices and electrooptic deflectors
- Electrooptic effects - Effects observed when using electrooptic devices such as electrochromism, Kerr effect, and optical bistability
- Lasers - An acronym for Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation, lasers are a focused beam which has many applications in today's world
- Light sources - Various sources of light including gas lighting, fluorescent lighting and incandescent lighting
- Nonlinear optics - The field of optics which describes how light interacts with a non-linear medium
- Optical devices - Devices used in optics such as lenses, mirrors, and light deflectors
- Optical fields - Different areas of studies pertaining to optics such as geometrical optics, electron optics, fiber optics
- Optics - Topics that deal with optics as a whole, including color, ray tracing and luminescence
- Optoelectronic devices - Devices which detect and control light such as charge-coupled image sensors, LED lamps, and superconducting photodetectors
- Photonics - The science of light's behavior, acting neither as a particle nor a wave
This category has the following 15 subcategories, out of 15 total.
Pages in category "Lasers, lighting & electrooptics"
The following 179 pages are in this category, out of 179 total.
Media in category "Lasers, lighting & electrooptics"
The following 14 files are in this category, out of 14 total.
- Arc Lighting Dynamo ...
- Art room incandescen...
- Brush Electric Light...
- Edison incandescent ...
- EdisonEffect Bulb003...
- Electric Light Paten...
- Electric Times Squar...
- French Lamp 1368.jpg
- Incandescent art gal...
- Manufacture Weston 1...
- Montage electrical e...
- Sketch Chandilier 13...
- Thomson-Houston arc-...
- Uptons Happy Bulb 15...