IEEE STARS Candidates: Engineered materials & dielectrics
View Complete IEEE STARS Candidates List »
- No STARS Candidates found
Materials and the various properties associated with materials are the essential core of electrical engineering. Conductivity and resistance are essential electricity's flow and control, and various materials are better suited for the task than others. This category aims to capture all topics related to material science, conductivity, and various related engineered materials and concepts such as superconductivity.
Experimentation with materials has played an extremely important role in the development of electronics. Concepts like ferroelectricity, discovered in 1920, and devices like the silicon transistor, developed in 1954, would revolutionize the electronics industry; transistors in particular would greatly aid in the miniaturization of electronic devices.
IEEE's involvement in these topics spans several technical societies and councils. The IEEE Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control Society , IEEE Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Society History, IEEE Council on SuperConductivity, and IEEE Nanotechnology Council represent IEEE's interests in these areas.
- Compounds - Compounds are substances containing two or more elements, including various silicon, gallium and lead compounds
- Conductivity & superconductivity - Topics related to electrical conductivity, including semiconductors, superconductors and current
- Dielectrics - Electrical insulators which can be polarized
- Electric breakdown - Topics dealing with the reduction of resistance in an insulator, including discharges, sparks and flashover
- Elements - Chemical elements including carbon, hydrogen and roentgenium
- Insulation - Insulators are materials which resist the flow of electrical current
- Material storage - Storage of materials such as fuel and water
- Materials - Various types of materials such as films, fluids, oils and solids
- Materials science and technology - Various topics dealing with the science of materials including chemical analysis, separation processes and filtration
- Media - Media used in the sense of materials used to store and deliver information
- Metals - Metals tend to be excellent conductors of electricity and are an invaluable component of electrical engineering
- Nanotechnology - The science and study of creating and manipulating objects on an atomic scale
- Ultrasonics, ferroelectrics, and frequency control - Sciences pertaining to the generation, transmission, and detection of ultrasonic waves and related phenomena, medical ultrasound and associated technologies, ferroelectric, piezoelectric, and piezomagnetic materials, frequency generation and control, timing, and time coordination and distribution